74 lines of perl so far

My Cycling Log

2007-12-10 22:08:08 821

Yay 26. I am old now. But not nearly as old as Cory will be tomorrow. He is going to win that race :) At least I get to race in the same age group as him in running races in '08. Triathlons not so much. Anyway this was most likely the most productive year of my life. 90ish percent of my first year of marriage was this past year. Emily and I bought a house. I mowed grass for the first time since leaving home in 2000. I got a new job where I get to work on Unix boxes with the most terrible text editor in the world, vi. Ran three half marathons, all under two hours. Actually got medals in two triathlons (ok racing clydesdale instead of age group, being young, and tall has its advantages). I learned how to put down laminate flooring, install faucets, replace tub/shower valves, paint closets, and do sheetrock repair. It has been a wonderful year and I would not be in this position without sweet Emily. Yay for my work-o-holic school-o-holic wife!

2007-12-06 23:32:05 820

So I tried out a new training method for the Memphis Marathon, no running at all since October 10th. So three half marathons down and this one went extremely well despite my lack of preparation. I trained a bit (not nearly as well as I should have) with Kevin for the Mercedes and Little Rock halfs in February and March of this year and ran them in 1:59:55 and 1:55:52 respectively. After my broken arm induced short triathlon season, I did not feel like doing anything but riding my bikes this fall. Somehow I managed to run Memphis in 1:57:21. Now this makes me want to train and do even better at Mercedes '08 to break 1:50:00.

This week was a good one. Poor Emily had to leave for Jackson on Thursday night for exams on Friday and Saturday. On Friday I rode the Raleigh to work, then after lunch rode it home to pick up the truck. Makes the first time I have driven to the new job. After work I left for Memphis, stopping only once in Grenada to get gas. Found the civic center and a parking spot and made it in to pick up my race packet. Cory and Sarah had made it in the area so Cory was able to pick his stuff up right before 8:00. We left to find the Hampton Inn in West Memphis and had some issues finding it due to confusing interstate signs. I headed towards it and ended up at the "New Hampshire Inn." Found the Hampton finally and then we went on a search for food. Cory scouted out an Italian place called Sicily's. Called for directions twice on the way but we finally made it. Looked kinda shady when we pulled up but we went for it. It ended up being a nice small family place and the food was wonderful. On Saturday morning, we got up at 6:00. Ate a Slimfast Optima and a Snickers Marathon. We were in the car leaving by 6:45 and got a great parking spot a few blocks from the start. It was cool and windy, but I only had on my shorts and a shirt since I knew it was going to warm up. This race was crazy big, the starting corals stretched at least a quarter mile. Nearer the start Cory and I got into the third coral. There were so many people. It was announced that there were over 10,000 runners in the three races. The elites started at 8:00 and we got to start at 8:03. Cory was fast. I felt like giving up at mile one and I was not able to keep up with Cory after mile two or so. I just plugged along and suddenly I was at the 10k mark and realized I was keeping a decent pace. My left foot started to hurt, turns out I managed to rub a good blister on the side of it by mile seven or so. Running near the zoo and seeing the guy dressed as a monkey giving out bananas was awesome. Soon afterward I got confused because I never saw the 8 mile marker. I thought I was making horrible time and then I passed the 9 mile marker. Things were a bit easier after that because I was so happy that I had managed to make it that far. I walked though the rest of the water stops because my legs were so tight. I even walked a little after mile 12 so I could be sure to be running across the finish line. I finally got there, the clock time was right over 2 hours, but I knew my chip time would be less, ended up being 1:57:21. I looked for the Waldroup's but had no success in finding them. So I worked my way through the stadium to the entrance where our arranged meeting place was. I was lonely for a bit nursing my bottle of water and I finally saw Sarah walking out. Caught her and we waited for Cory. Took a while but he finally came out, even though he had beat me in the race by four minutes. Yay for Cory's first half. I am so going to beat him at Mercedes, or at least hurt myself trying. We went back to the Hampton in West Memphis and got showered up. Headed back to Memphis and parked in the garage next to the Holiday Inn downtown. We went to Peabody Place and watched a movie. Afterward we checked into the hotel. The room they gave us had a really squeaky fan. Cory got that sorted out and we got a new room. We took a nap waiting on Emily to make it up from Jackson. Emily made it up and we headed to Texas de Brazil. Took a while to get in even though we had reservations. Greatest place to eat ever. I had so much steak. Even ate some chicken and some pork. I was too full when the lamb came around but Cory did get to take advantage of it due to his stomach that can hold an amazing eight gallons of food. We wandered around Beale Street for a while afterward marveling at all of the guys dressed as Santa and the girls dressed as skanky Elves. The non squeaky fan room slept very well. Got up Sunday morning, walked back to Beale, and ate breakfast at the King's Palace. Was pretty good being the only place we found serving breakfast beside Denny's. Afterward we said our good byes and headed home. Emily took the 55 to Winona then 82 east route. I took a more scenic route, getting off of 55 at Batesville, going through Water Valley, to Calhoun City, to Houston, to Pheba, and on in to Starkvegas. It was a wonderful trip. I survived. Yay!

2007-11-24 19:27:10 819

Married for a year as of last Sunday. On Saturday, we drove to Columbus and watched Beowulf. Afterward we went to J. Broussard's to give it a try. It is a nice place, but fine dining it is not. We had the special crab au gratin appetizer, Emily got the veal medallions, and I got the shrimp bourguignon.

Emily had to work until 11 the night before Thanksgiving and then from 7a to 3p on Thanksgiving Day. I went to Kroger at about 11a to pick up things for lunch. Kroger on Thanksgiving Day is a surreal experience. Best time ever to shop because it is almost completely deserted. I made my usual stuffing and stuffed a roasting chicken. I ran some garlic through the press, mixed it with olive oil and put it under the skin of the chicken. I also cooked a boneless ham that I glazed with a habanero honey sauce, mashed bourbon maple sweet potatoes, improvised herbed Feta mashed potatoes (Kroger had no Boursin), crescent rolls, and steamed broccoli, carrots, and garlic.

Late Thursday night, I cooked up some sausage balls and Emily made some iced pumpkin bars and her tasty BLT cheese ball. Early on Friday, Tommy called to tell me to be sure to bring some fire to light the grill because he was cold. Emily and I got the car packed up and headed toward campus. My original plan was to drop her off in the Junction with the cooler, park, and walk back. We decided mid journey to park near Papa John's and walk. This was the better decision because of the backup of traffic. We made it to the tents and found Mary Beth guarding the tent. I got the charcoal lit in the chimney with shredded paper plates. After a bit Emily and I went into the game. We sat with TJ behind the band, and eventually Lehman came up too. Being the terrible fans we are, Emily and I left at half time to get back to the tent and hang out with Tommy and Steffan. Listening to the game from the tent was rather enjoyable. Tommy channeling the game was the best part. The Junction went nuts with our final field goal and Steffan and I rang our cowbells constantly until the band people made it to the tent. Was the best game day experience of the season by far.

Last week Sesti pointed me toward Woot's Roomba sale. Got a Scheduler with two virtual walls for what seemed really cheap. Well Romba made it here on the FedEx today and I was excited. Pulled everything out and noticed that something was off on the main unit since there were little pieces of plastic falling around. Turns out the brush guard that hold the brushes in is broken in three places. I put in a ticket with iRobot since they are apparently not answering the phone today.

2007-11-15 19:56:07 818

My new job is sweet. There is not a PC to be found on my desk. I have an older, yet freakishly fast dual 2.5 G5 tower with 2.5 gigs of RAM displaying on two 20" LCD's fo all of my terminals. Also have a SunBlade that has not been set up yet to run Solaris and Windows on the blade.

2007-11-13 20:31:07 817

Great Fark headline: "Four charged in auto parts theft. Reportedly building a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56, '57, '58, '59 automobile" Well it is great if you catch the reference. Johnny Cash for those of you who did not get it.

2007-11-10 20:52:58 816

What a day, what a day. Poor sweet Emily had one of her internet tests at 3:00 PM, which she has a whole 10 minutes to get into or get an F. I had a free day so I rode my bike to campus and locked it up at the bookstore. Walked to the junction and found B'rad's tent that Ben, Jim, Tommy, and Matt were taking care of. Hung out with them and found out that Ben had good tickets and needed someone to go to the game with. Being a sacrificer, I said "Sure I'll go with you." As such we did not have to get in early to obtain a student section arm band to get a decent seat. So that left me with my two season tickets. I walked up to one of the black "I need ticket" dudes and said "I have two tickets, $20 a piece." Apparently that was a good lowball offer and he took it. Maybe I should have started at $40 a piece. I went in with Ben and we got to our seats. First time I have ever sat on the West side. After a bit a lady came in and told me that she had seat six. I started to move and asked Ben if we were on the right row. He asked the lady behind us what row she was on and she said 47. We were supposed to be on row 46 so we were right. Turned out that the new lady, and a couple people sitting behind her were supposed to be in section B instead of A. So this left a nice two spots to my left empty. Midway through the pregame show we spotted a late 50's Alabama couple making it down the row. Ben told me that they would be sitting next to me. I said no way, they have to be sitting in the empty seats to your right. I was wrong. She scooted right up tight to me so I moved over a bit. The game started and we sucked it up most of the first half. I did a good job of ringing my cowbell for 3rd and 4th down defensive plays, so well that my Alabama neighbor had to hold her right ear. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter, she put bits of torn up napkin in her ears to make ear plugs. Yes, I am a nice person. If I had somehow gotten tickets to sit in the middle of the Alabama section, I would not have been ringing some cowbell. As it was, she was the violator of MSU ticket holder space, so I had no qualms ringing my bell like a good MSU fan should. On a miracle play, we managed to be up by one at halftime. The halftime show was great, the good ole reliable patriotic show. It went well with the band making straighter lines that I remember when I was in it. The big snafu was with the choir's microphones that put a bit of feedback into the beginning of the show. After halftime the Bulldogs did their usual "play the whole game in the 3rd" move and put some points the board. It was amazing because the eastern upper deck stayed populated the whole time. The Dogs had a great defensive 4th quarter and managed to keep the Tide at bay. I know this game had the highest attendance ever, but it had to really really crush the "number of fans in the stadium at the end of the game" record. I think this is the first game since I have been a member of the Famous Maroon Band that I have stayed from kickoff until the band playing Battle Hymn for a victory. I think this was one of the most fun games I have ever been to. Ben kept it interesting because he is one of those "sports people" that knows everything about all of the players. After the game we headed back to the tent. At some point I made a trip over to Sesti's neighbors' tent and we made a hunt for some water for Kallie. Emily called me and I rode my bike toward Papa John's to meet me. Locked my bike up and found out that she had parked closer to campus. Met up with her and went and hung out at Brad's tent for a bit. Went to visit Sesti's neighbors' tent and they had already packed up. Now we are at home and are going to call it an early night.

2007-11-09 19:36:53 815

Poor Teresa. She was wonderful to hire me as a student worker in the fall of '04. Then she busted her ass to get me hired into a full time position in the spring of '05. Three whole years of working for the best boss I have ever had and now I have ditched her. Boo on me. Now she has to go through the rigors of the hiring process to replace both Cesar and I. I do not envy her.

After I filled out my exit survey and changed my voicemail message to a generic "call the help desk" I visited my new office. I actually have an office again with real walls! First time since Katrina destroyed 46 Magruder. Downside of course is the lack of a window makes this the first work area I have had 100% devoid of natural light. Even the basement office in Lee had windows near the ceiling. I have already been supplied with some huge displays, a Sun Blade, and a sweet dual G5 tower. The desk is not the best but I will make it work. Monday is going to be an exciting day being that I will have no idea of what to do. Yay for the stress of new jobs. At least I am familiar with the territory. 23.25 years to retirement!

2007-11-09 03:06:18 814

Why can I not set my IP? Wah wah. is set to but my script fails trying to set

2007-11-07 17:52:53 813

The colder it gets, the stupider Starkville drivers become. The commute this morning was uneventful. Riding home for lunch behind Allen on President's Circle, a Chi Omega emblazoned sorostitute-mobile did a nice pass by inches. Being that the road name has the word circle in it, it may float over the head of our sweet innocent sorostitute that it is not the smartest thing to pass a vehicle traveling 20MPH into a blind curve with the possibility of pedestrians coming from all directions. Her speeding got her nowhere faster, just closer to killing a cyclist. She was stopped at the Stone redlight and I was able to pull up beside her and turn right on red. Thank you MSU police for all of that speed enforcement. The ride back into campus was uneventful as well. This is looking like the safe trend it to ride to campus, but never leave on a bike. Riding home tonight was fun. The traffic backup was horrible but by sidewalking it next to the library and maneuvering around Dorman's parking lot, I was able not to get stopped until the redlight at Hwy 12. Everything was fine until I got near Louisville. Had two near passes by a car and then a truck but those were not nearly as bad as this morning. After the light changed I kept within 20 feet or so of truck in front of me; at most he hit 25 and was making a nice draft for me so it was easy. I heard the guy behind me gunning his engine like he wanted to pass just as there was an oncoming car. Guy behind me was across the center line so the oncoming car had to stop to avoid being hit. In the middle of this the front truck was stopping to turn right. I think I was close to becoming the meat between a sandwich of domestic pickups. After the stop at Lindberg, he pulled a wonderful close pass. I followed him (see, aren't bikes slow?) and it turns out he lives, or knows someone at, the Lakes. If you ever see a black Ford F250 at about the fourth house on the left, it is this asshole.

2007-11-05 19:27:07 812

Watched License to Wed from the Amazon Tivo Unbox tonight because it was a mere $.99 over the weekend. It was an ok movie. The coolest part was when Ben is getting to Jamaica and is in a truck with a bunch of Jamaicans. It shows the view from the road that goes up the big hill to Shaw Gardens. Emily and I walked up that hill following the directions from our guide book and got a picture of the same exact view.

962  952  942  932  922  912  902  892  882  872  862  852  842  832  822  812  802  792  782  772  762  752  742  732  722  712  702  692  682  672  662  652  642  632  622  612  602  592  582  572  562  552  542  532  522  512  502  492  482  472  462  452  442  432  422  412  402  392  382  372  362  352  342  332  322  312  302  292  282  272  262  252  242  232  222  212  202  192  182  172  162  152  142  132  122  112  102  92  82  72  62  52  42  32  22  12  2